Getting started with rugby is easy and USA Rugby has outlined a few steps for new programs. Check out these steps and additional resources and you can start rugby today!
STEP 1: Learn the Game
- USA Rugby has a ton of great resources that can help you learn the game of rugby. Check out our Rookie Rugby Guidebook here to learn the rules:
STEP 2: Get Some Help
- There are local volunteers all over the country ready and willing to help support you in teaching rugby.
- Contact your local State Rugby Organizations (SRO) to find someone in your area.
- Visit www.usarugby.org/sro for contact information.
STEP 3: Pick a Program
- The greatest thing about Rookie Rugby is that it fits into any program format. Decide which format works best for your organization:
- Multi-Sport Option – Rookie Rugby fits in as a great option for a multi-sports camp. The curriculum can be adapted to fit into a few hours, one day, or even a week!
- One Day Clinic/Camp – Once your members experience a taste, they will want more rugby! Provide a full day of games and competition in a clinic or camp format.
- Multi-Day Camp – The curriculum can fit into any length camp. Use the curriculum to plan the camp!
- League – Flag rugby leagues are a ton of fun and can be played over a number of weeks.
STEP 4: Begin Teaching Rugby!
- Once you have downloaded the curriculum for your program and solicited local help, you are ready to get started! Your members will love this game!
- Be sure to record your session!