View All Game Cards
Rookie Rugby Relays
Easy relay races that can be used to introduce new players to running with the ball and scoring a try.
How to Play
- Start by separating players into equal relay teams of two or more and have them stand in line behind a cone.
- Make the first race a simple down and back with a rugby ball in hand, passing to the next player in line on the way back. Be sure to instruct on proper passing and catching techniques prior.
- Next, have players ground the ball and yell “Try!” when they get to the far cone. Have them run back and pass to the next player in line.
- The next race should have two players from a team race down and back, completing three passes in between each cone, scoring at each end.
- Last, let players have fun by celebrating a “try dance” at the furthest cone before running back to pass to their teammate.
- Make the cones further apart each race.
- Add defenders in the middle that players must evade to complete their turn in the race.
- Award the first team to finish a point and make it a competition for teams.
- Incorporate various skills including tossing the ball, kick and chase, low positioning, etc.
- Moving Forward
- Ball Familiarization
- Players should work on mastering each skill they perform while playing.
- Make sure players are encouraging each other as they race.